How to wear an Afro on your wedding day
Back again with more Afro hair inspiration for your big day!
At many a wedding, I have seen brides and bridesmaids choosing to wear their natural hair in weaves or straightened with hair pieces. To be honest I haven’t seen many women wear their hair in an Afro for their wedding day. Maybe it is seen as not putting in enough effort, or pampering yourself enough, or a dislike for natural hair, the bottom line is I really don’t know.
However, if you have natural hair and you want to wear your hair in an Afro, here is some inspiration.
Preparing the Afro
- Having your hair trimmed regularly helps a lot, especially getting rid of the dead ends.
- Wash, condition, moisturise, and part hair into 4 sections and plait.
- Allow enough time for your hair to air dry – you don’t want your hair to be wet in parts on your big day.
- Comb out the Afro and detangle in sections. Doo-Gro Detangler works a treat.
(This YouTube video demonstrates a great technique to detangle without causing damage or breakage to the ends.)
- If you want to set your Afro in a curly style, set it whilst wet with Mixed Chicks.
- Blow dry your hair out with a pick if you are short on time and can’t air dry.
Wedding Afro Style
If you are planning a summer wedding, remember having your hair out makes you feel hotter and more so if you have a veil. A strapless wedding dress will suit as it keeps your décolletage free and cooler!
Accessorise you hair with a dramatic tiara or side headpiece.
Cornrow the front of your hair and have the back Afro. Diamonte pins add a sparkle! Also if you want a half Afro without cornrowing, use a 80s style veil to pull back the Afro into a loose bun.
(Here’s me messing around on a bridal photo shoot, but you get the idea about using a veil to style the hair into a half Afro!)
Till next time!